Friday, July 25, 2014

Steeds Have Landed.

If you're reading this blog, you're well aware that our family recently relocated to Dayton, OH; and you're likely also aware that this move was in an effort to finish up dear Drake's last official grad school year as he embarks on internship in early August. I will say only this about our move: moving is crazy. That's why we plan to do it 3 times in a 3 year span.

No one will be happier than I will when Drake graduates. No one!

This blog is an attempt to keep you, dear reader, up to speed as to the goings-on at the stable (stable for Steeds, of course). I have kept blogs in the past...and I have landed flat on my arse in many of those attempts. But looking back on those writing escapades, I realize that most of why I failed so miserably was because I worried too much about what you (yes, you!) would think about what you were reading. I agonized over the conclusions you might be drawing about me, my husband, our children based on the words on your computer screen (yep, I'm typing this on an old-fashioned lap top. It's even plugged in, so it's more of a glorified desktop. And I daresay, I like it this way.). With that said, I'm posting without expectation on this blog. Go ahead and conclude all you want...that's between you and the Lord. In the meantime, I'll post as I'm able. And maybe, just maybe, you'll be privy to some photos on this blog, specifically starting in the Fall when there's the slightest chance that I might dip my toe into the modern age pool and get an upgrade on my pantech phone. But don't hold me to it.

In recent news, we are loving this house. Loving it! I never felt that our place in Chicagoland was our home...it was always just the place we lived. And while I am full of gratitude that Our Lord provided a place of refuge for us during the first 4 years of grad school, I struggled to call it our home. Both Drake and I are a bit in awe of the chance to live in a pretty home like this one. Oh, and we love visitors, so come on over! Please!

The kids are adjusting well overall. I'm not gonna lie, the first few days were pretty hairy. In fact, the two weeks leading up to the move had me seriously considering having the ears and vocal cords of all the littles checked as both disobedience and screaming were at all-time highs. I am relieved to report that listening is improving and screaming is typically saved for more appropriate affairs like fingers caught in doors (ouch, Dominic) and arguments over using the garbage disposal (this is a pretty novel contraption for Steeds). However, I am still mulling over the idea of DIY seat belts for our kitchen chairs as keeping our children seated for an entire meal, or even for 5 consecutive minutes, is becoming an unnecessarily strenuous enterprise. But that's a post for another day.

Here's to a year of faith, adventure, and growth! Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. SO happy for you guys! Glad that the move went well (it does totally suck) and that the adjustment for the littlest ones continues to get easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I am pretty sure my little ones would be in awe of a garbage disposal as well.

    ReplyDelete