Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Stable Turned Infirmary

Doctor Mommy has been on duty 24/7 these last few days. A cold bug started for Thomas last week and seems to be resolving...then it hit little Dominic* but turned into hand, foot and mouth complete with small-but-mighty mouth blisters (yowch!). And tonight Maria went to bed with the sniffles as she tried in her persistent way to convince me that sleeping is not what she wanted to do. I can't remember if she fell asleep 30 seconds after that comment or 35 seconds afterward, but, in any case, she's out like a light now.

*I decided to take Dominic to Urgent Care yesterday as he had woken with a rash that was worsening. And it's a good thing I did. It was humbling to hear from the doctor that we 'shouldn't go anywhere where there might be other people.' Aka, stay the heck home! We were just getting into such a good rhythm, too, but we'll live up the time at home together. I promised Thomas and Maria that we'd have some extra fun snacks around, get some books and movies from the library (Sound of Music happens to be a Steed favorite), do lots of reading under cozy blankets, and throw some school in there, too. I'm sad that we'll be missing our co-op this week, but Drake has been great about taking on all child and home duties as soon as he walks in the door after internship to ensure that I can get out of the house. Tonight is different as Maria desperately needed me to cuddle with her in bed for a bit, but curling up on the couch to write while my husband grocery shops isn't all that bad!

In other news, I joined the 21st century and now have a smartphone. Sadly the phone has already outsmarted me, but humility comes in all forms now, doesn't it? I was quite resistant to this change as you may know, but then it happened. I dropped my phone in the toilet. Yep, RIP pantech phone. You were good to me. 

I mentioned on a Facebook post that I wasn't going to put my blog posts on my homepage anymore...I suggested subscribing to my blog as a way to stay updated on Steed happenings. I took a rare look at the stats tonight, and yesterday's post (the first after declaring this change) received 3 views compared to the previous post which had 114. As much as I don't write this blog for the attention that it might receive, I do want friends and family from afar to have some sense of what's going on at the Stable...

So, ummm...I guess I'll start putting them back on FB. I know there are all sorts of ways to publicize one's blog, but I just don't have the time/energy/interest in blogging to make all of those things happen. Sheer laziness and a few other things, I guess.

Okay, off to pour some red wine. It's been a day!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad you went back to fb, because I forgot to subscribe, and missed the Indy post! :) Missing you guys, and praying for sweet D and you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Dominic is getting some relief soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're all in our prayers for swift and easy recoveries! (And a note on the post views: if some people- like us!- put your blog onto their "blog reader feeds", then viewing the post there might not show up as a post view for blogspot. But don't worry- we're still reading!)

    ReplyDelete