Friday, September 12, 2014

Then Again, Maybe Not

My husband is a wise man.

He talked me off my blogging ledge last night as I got so fired up about blogging that I even missed the cycle class I had been so eagerly anticipating. The long and short of it: I'm going to continue blogging.

I have had the wrong outlook on blogging all along. I realized last night that ultimately what I desire is authentic relationship, friendship with others. That's been lacking in my life due to being in a new place, sick kids, my own introversion. I've been lonely, I tell ya. And in the midst of this loneliness, I've been trying to adjust to so many new things: a new town, new home, new community, new parish, adding homeschooling into the mix. It's been a lot to manage.

And I think, on some level, I was expecting that the blog would be a way to connect with people, to foster the aforementioned relationships. I felt discouraged then to see so many page views and typically no comments.

Waa waaaaa.

I said that one of the purposes of the blog was to keep in touch with others and provide some family updates. My pride reared it's ugly head again as I thought that closing down the blog would 'force' others to ask more about how we were doing rather than assuming they knew based on what they had read.

Lord, I am the lowliest of your creatures. Truly.

Here's the deal. I can have a blog and post whatever the heck I want on it...family updates, beautiful photos, my thoughts on controversial social issues, etc. But I can also develop deep relationships with people, despite any comment counts on the blog. Both a blog and the genuine friendships I desire can exist! Whodathunkit? I cannot and should not let comments dictate anything, and, as my friend Erin helped me realize, the blog isn't going to please all readers all the time...nor should I be writing in an effort to make it so.

Thanks for your patience with me, dear reader. And here's to more writing, photo-posting, and general Steed shenanigans.


5 comments:

  1. I could have written this exactly once I moved from Ohio. I'm glad you will still be blogging. Prayers as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would ever like to hang out let me know! I am in Columbus which isn't to far from the Dayton area. I completely understand what its like to move to a new area and not know many people while being an introvert. I know its been awhile since we've all seen each other but just let me know! :) I, personally, love reading your blog especially the one's about homeschooling. I think its a wonderful option and it takes an amazing and special parent to be able to do it. You seem like you are a truly wonderful mom. :) Again, let me know if you would like to hang out, no pressure just offering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind message, Erin! Drake and I would love to have you and your husband over for dinner some evening. I'll message you about it once we're a little more settled into life here.

      Delete
  3. As long as you keep the pictures. I'm kidding. No, not really. :)

    I am happy that you and Drake were able to talk about this and that you seem more at peace with your blog and its role in your life. The internet is a wonderful thing (how else would I be writing to you right now!) but it is only a tool to use in order to have those real relationships that we all crave. Good on you for seeking them out, they make life so much richer and less lonely!

    ReplyDelete