Saturday, September 20, 2014

Weirdness.

I often wonder and worry about what others will think of the little Steeds once they find out that we're a homeschooling family this year. At one point, that concern was almost enough for me to not dive into homeschooling even though I know in my heart of hearts that it's best for our family right now. I think the mere mention of the word 'homeschool' conjures up images of weird, socially awkward kids who have a closet full of jumpers and turtlenecks. The 'h-word' brings to mind kids who stay inside the house all day everyday, doomed to a life of boredom and a general inability to cope with the 'real world.'

I can't clean the lens through which you view my children. But this article summed up so well my internal responses to that all-too-common idea that many have of homeschooled children. That they're just. plain. weird.

Kids all have their quirks, their own little personalities, temperaments, likes, dislikes, comforts, discomforts. And don't we all? Little Steeds are surely no exception.


Regardless of education in our family in years to come, these little ones (Mama Steed and Daddy, too!) will always have those wildly unique and beautiful traits that make them perfectly themselves.

And that is something to celebrate!


6 comments:

  1. Beautifully unique. So much better than common and ordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been in seminary, I think I have had the pleasure of meeting more home schooled people than your average Joe. I have definitely met some pretty awkward home-schoolers, but some of the most well-adjusted, feet solidly on the ground people I know are some other home-schoolers. I think it depends a lot on maintaining contact with the world around you and helping your children to interpret what they are seeing outside the house through the proper lenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Fr. Krengiel. I have met some of the best homeschooled teenagers here in Dayton. They come from great, faithful families who have helped form the consciences of their children, all the while being out and about in the world and having critical conversations along the way.

      Delete
  3. The literature simply does not support this myth. A recent (2013) review of the literature suggests that homeschooled kids are 1) Have higher quality friendships than non-homeschooled 2) better relationships with their parents and other adults 3) are happy and optimistic about their lives, and 4) turn out, as adults to be civically engaged. They have less emotional turmoil as adolescents and are more likely to act unseflishly.

    ReplyDelete