Thursday, September 11, 2014

This Could be the End.

Friends, I need to be honest with you. I struggle blogging. I always have. Some days I love it, some days I hate it.

I like to write.

It's a good outlet for me.

Little Steeds are amazingly adorable.

Friends and family can keep up with some of the goings-on here.

Those are all good things in and of themselves. But...

It is not helping me foster and maintain genuine friendships.

At various times throughout the last month or so, I have received many comments like, 'It sounds like you're doing great from what I read on your blog!' or 'I love reading your blog!'

Let me be clear. I am humbled that anyone would read the blog. And I know these comments are so well intentioned. But the blog is not mean to be a 'data dump.' I'm not interested in just writing down a bunch of stuff, posting it to cyberspace, and then doing that over and over again...all the while, I'm not having genuine relationship maintained with most of my blog readers. A reader knows bits and pieces of what's going on with my family, and, in the meantime, I do not know about how the reader is doing (and I mean how they are, not just the goings-on). And one might argue that the aforementioned data dump description is the very essence of a blog. In that case, I perhaps shouldn't have started it in the first place.

I highly value genuine relationship. It is tremendously important to me, and right now I feel that the blog is a deterrent of sorts. It's making relationship too one-sided for my liking. I will find another way to write, and I'll still post occasional pictures either in emails to friends and family, in the mail, or on FB once in a while. But I need real friendship. We're all made for community, right? I'm not willing to spend the time and energy on developing a bunch of friendships on the web through blog posts and comments. That's just not a desire of mine right now, though I know that approach works well for many.

Maybe the blogging doesn't have to be all or nothing. Maybe I'll post once in a while or something. And perhaps the blogging issue would be different if, in addition to blogging, I had solid friendships that were being maintained and strengthened outside of cyberspace. But that's not happening in my life right now, and I need to focus my energies on fostering community that's around me and friendships that I left in Lombard and elsewhere.

Thanks for your patience with me, and thanks for reading!


4 comments:

  1. Love reading about your life with your family, but I totally understand where you are coming from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. After a talk with my very smart husband, this may not be the end after all :)

      Delete
  2. I struggle with this aspect of blogging a lot of the time. My own blog grew out of our move and my need to connect with new mothers and the people that I left back home. As I built a new community for myself in my new home, that need of the blog shifted and it became more of a place to do the story-telling that I so love. But I wanted to quit it when it changed. I don't like change; I think they things should stay as they should be. THere is no should be in writing, but try telling me that. Henry talked me out of it. He says, "one of the scary things about the internet is that there are no rules. And one of the wonderful things about the internet is that there are no rules." I have no advice, you are a wonderfully thoughtful person who will do what you need to. But if I did have advice, it would be to let this blog, and all things in your life, change as they need to in order to help you. Take a break, shut it down, change it as you wish, but never stop reaching out for community. It's there. Everywhere. And I'll be in yours, if you wish. I think of you in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you are so wise. Thank you for your comment. I think I have had the wrong outlook on blogging in that I wanted some amount of discussion and friendship to emerge from it. Like you, we've had our recent move with another one on the horizon in less than a year...and then another one 2 years after that. Anyway, I haven't been blogging in a way that really elicits much in terms of conversation/relationship. And I can a) have a blog and b) be working on in-person relationships with family and community here and afar. It doesn't have to be one or the other as I'm finding. I so appreciate your insights. Thank you, dear friend! I think I'll keep blogging after all. It doesn't feel right to go cold turkey.

      Delete