Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Recap!

It's been a long while since I've posted. That goes without saying, I suppose. In many ways, I struggle to make blogging a priority in the midst of so many other responsibilities. But, it is a good outlet for me to get out a few thoughts in written form every now and again.

We Steeds have been busily relishing in family life these last few weeks. Drake is busily getting smarter by the day on internship. He's attending a training in Cincinnati for a few days this week and realized how quickly he adapted to a 10 minute commute after 4 years of a 1-2 hour commute. 'It took me so long to get there this morning!' he told me with a wink when he arrived home last night. His rotation starts on Thursday, and while he's looking forward to getting into some kind of rhythm, the stakes are incredibly high. Jesus, we trust in you!

Thomas Michael seems more accustomed to our home and new surroundings now. He just cannot get enough of having a playroom! If you ever came over to our home in Lombard, you might understand his excitement (and relief!) over a place for his toys. He has grown quite fond of Legos (thank you, Father Krengiel!) and enjoys pretend play with Sister Steed. Lately he has been enjoying trips to the local children's museum, visits to the park on his scooter, reading with Mommy for hours on end, and Friday night soccer. He's doing quite well in school, and next week we'll add Judo to the mix twice a week in the hopes that it helps dear Thomas develop a little more body/spatial awareness. He has been embracing his role as the oldest boy in our home as he helped me get an unwelcome furry visitor out of our home last week despite his reservations. As he told Maria, 'I'm scared, but I'm staying downstairs to help Mommy.'

Maria Therese is absolutely loving the aforementioned pretend play with Thomas as they have been creating all sorts of adventures together including, but not limited to, camping, trips to the store, Mass with young children (always an adventure, for sure!), cooking, and boat trips. She is loving school and is often known to come bounding down the stairs in the morning just to check her list of work for the day. She continues to be the most maternal 3 year-old we have ever known. Maria will start gymnastics next week, which we hope she will love!

Dominic Ambrose is keeping busy keeping up with his older siblings, and they have been showing him a great deal of care and affection in recent weeks. He is getting more and more verbal, specific in his likes and dislikes, and is ever so slowly warming up to the idea of vegetables in his diet. I am currently perusing Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious in an effort to sneak in more nutrition for this little Steed. He continues to be the most adorable rascal and quite the little flirt with a fantastic smile and gorgeous blue eyes. And he cannot get enough of Mommy, which I'm not complaining about in the least!

As for me, our Lord has given me many graces in these last several weeks to get our homeschool year off to a good start. I am learning to manage 2 curricula simultaneously while also trying to keep Dominic involved in his own 'tot school' which involves a lot of fine and gross motor activities. I'm learning how to manage our home and our time well (or at most times, not so well!), and I'm seeing how important self-care is for both Drake and I as we embark on this internship year. It is often an act of the will to get myself to the gym at the end of the day, but it always helps. I am finding that my efforts to stay close to the sacraments, prayer throughout the day, and openness to the Lord's plans (often different from my own) typically result in great serenity and love within our home. Praise be to God.

I hope to post soon on our school year, including a few sassy photos of the little ones. We're excited for our homeschool co-op to begin next week. The adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment