Thursday, August 28, 2014

School at the Stable

We started school a couple weeks ago here at the Stable. It's our first year of homeschooling, and I am more convinced now than ever that I will be doing more learning than the kids this year! We took a couple of photos the first day as well as the second day. I went into the school year thinking that we would include uniforms into our daily routine, but after day #1 I nixed that idea for now. It got too confusing when we did a few things after lunch and the kids didn't know if they needed to put their uniforms back on or not...plus, the learning never really ends, does it? Anyway, I have the idea in my back pocket if we decide it's a necessary addition to our day. So here are a couple of shots from our first day:


Maria almost never does the 'lips only' smile, but here it is on full display.


A liiiiitle bit better...


I can never seem to get a good photo of how handsome this little guy really is!


Steed siblings, no doubt!


And here are a few from our 2nd day of school...


Typical.


Big guy!


Who knew pictures could be so painful?


Ended our school time that day with cups, bowls, trucks, and oats!

Our school year is going well so far. We're using one of many Catholic 'packaged programs' while supplementing things as we go. Next week begins our homeschool co-op where Thomas will be taking Art, Memory Jr., doing Blue Knights, Liturgical Celebrations, and a monthly field trip. Maria will have ballet, Little Saints, and Liturgical Celebrations. There are many other components to this co-op, including a saint presentation and rosary each Thursday as well as lunch with all the other families, recess, and by that time little Dominic will be way past his usual nap time, so we'll head home. I think I mentioned in my previous post that Cadet Judo will begin for Thomas next week and gymnastics for Maria. Soccer is still a mainstay for us on Friday evenings.

We're still working to find a good rhythm to our days, balancing school, classes outside the home, chores, errands, downtime, and everything in between. But I must say, I have surely been experiencing a great serenity in our home these last few weeks. Like any other family, we have our moments (myself included!), but this is serving us well so far, and our homeschool group has been a great blessing to us. Here's to a year of learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment